Mold is a problem that many homeowners across the country have to deal with. There are about 100,000 known types of mold, although studies show that there could beover a million types in existence. One of the most harmful types of mold is Chaetomium. It can be found virtually anywhere, both indoors and outdoors. If you inhale air contaminated with this fungus, you expose yourself to a lot of health risks. Here is all you need to know about the mold and the effects it can have on your health:
What is Chaetomium?
It is one of the most common types of mold that grows indoors. There are over 90 species of this kind of mold. It is usually white in color, but matures to a greenish-grey color. It also has a strong musty odor. The fungus reproduces by dispersal of airborne spores, which germinate rather quickly in moist indoor conditions. Other than inside the house, the fungus can also be found outdoors in the soil, dung and even plant debris.
For the mold to grow, three key conditions must be met. First, moisture needs to be present. Mold simply can’t flourish where there is no water. This is why a mold infestation in your home always points to water problems inside the house. Secondly, the right temperature conditions must be met. Mold will grow anywhere where temperatures are between 150- 550C, but usually thrives in temperatures between 250 to 350C. Finally, Chaetomium usually feeds on cellulose, so this too must be present for the colonies to survive. This is why you will typically see mold growing on cellulose- containing materials such as drywall, wood, wallpaper, paper and even plant compost.
What is the Effect of Chaetomium on the House?
Mold usually festers in dark, damp places. Because of this, chances are high that you already have a water leakage problem in your house before the mold shows up. Usually, the mold only makes a terrible situation worse. The rot that comes with water damage is exacerbated by the presence of mold in the house. Your wooden structures will become compromised if you have mold infestation, due to the fact that the mold feeds on cellulose off of the wood.
The Health Risks Associated
Generally, mold is associated with numerous health risks. Different kinds of mold pose different levels of threat to your wellbeing, and it is classified as one of the more dangerous types. It is known to contain a wide range of mycotoxins-including Cochliodinols, Chaetocin and Chetomin. Studies on animals show that in high concentrations, the fungus can even be fatal.
It has been shown to cause a lot of harm to your respiratory health. Living in a house infested with the mold can make you susceptible to conditions such as asthma, Hay fever and sinusitis. Additionally, the mold can have an adverse effect on your skin and nails. Your nails in particular may become brittle and discolored, and the area around them might become swollen and painful.
The fungus has also been shown to affect your neurological wellness. It has in fact been associated with autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis and lupus. It is also known to cause brain abscesses and other fatal cerebral infections. Other problems associated with the mold include memory loss, nose bleeding, balance issues, fever, headaches and flu- like symptoms.
It goes without saying that it can gravely endanger the health of all those living in an infested house. It is therefore imperative that you get rid of it as soon as you notice it before the problem becomes too big. If the area infested is not large, then you may consider removing the mold yourself. On the whole however, it is always better to call in an expert who will remove the mold for you.
One of the reasons why you should have an expert remove the mold is that they will do a thorough job of it. This is because they know all the nooks and crannies where the mold festers, and they know just the right products to annihilate the mold. When the mold is completely removed, chances are high that it will not return again. If you choose to remove it yourself make sure you get the best mold killer products money can buy.
Chaetomium is one of the most dangerous types of mold. If your home gets infested, your entire household becomes exposed to numerous health risks. It is therefore important that you take all measures necessary to get rid of the mold. Additionally, make sure that you fix the water problems that allow the mold to fester; otherwise, the mold will simply regrow.